Helpful comfort solution tips for successful face down vitrectomy recovery
Based on Al Heitz personal experience and other successful facedown vitrectomy recovery patients:
- keep a positive, bright outlook for a speedy, complete optimal eyesight recovery!
It really makes a difference!
- maintain STRICT face down positioning 24/7 for as long as your doctor recommends!
Your optimal eyesight recovery depends on it!
- have a supply of straws on hand,
you can drink whatever you need or want
including coffee (maybe a little cooler than usual)
through a straw and keep your had down.
- use a facedown vitrectomy mirror (such as the Make It Rite Mirror).
- keep the double mirror / facedown mirror with you 24/7
so you are not tempted to lift up your head to see someone or something.
- use boxes, small tables, books, pillows, whatever to prop the tilt of your mirror
so you can see whatever you want to see,
whether family, friends, the TV, computer screen, birds, what's in the cupboards...
all while keeping your necessary prescribed face prone positioning.
- use a variety of pillows to prop yourself, put under your ankles, legs, drop your hips, etc.
- when lying down it's important to build up under your torso. Using a couch cushion or 4" or so of pillows under your chin to your hips helps the back be in a more comfortable position, helps you lie face prone for a longer period of time, and also helps you from rolling over during your sleep.
- be creative, keep a sense of humor, enjoy your recovery.
- experience some spoiling by family and friends.
- know that doctors and medical professionals indicate after your surgery your eyesight can continue to improve for even up to a year--be patient, but for optimal eyesight recovery initially be very determined to maintain the prescribed positioning!
- Several of these tips can also be helpful for Corona Virus COVID-19 lung recovery that requires proning.